Albert Einstein Professor of Science and Engineering Emeritus
Levich Institute, Steinman Hall, #1M-18
City College of CUNY
140th Street and Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
Phone: (212) 650-7444; Fax: (212) 650-6835
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1961, Chemical Engineering
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 1964, Chemical Engineering
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Delaware, 1964-65, Chemical Engineering
City College of CUNY:
- Albert Einstein Professor of Science and Engineering, January, 2001 – August 2014
- Director, The Benjamin Levich Institute for Physico-Chemical Hydrodynamics, July 2000 – February, 2015
- Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering, 1999 – 2014
- Professor of Physics, 2001 – 2014
University of California at Berkeley:
- Professor of Chemical Engineering, 1981- 99; Chairman, Department of Chemical Engineering, 1991-94
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory:
- Program Leader, Polymers and Composites, Center for Advanced Materials, 1983- 99
- Head of Materials Chemistry, Materials Sciences Division, 1995 – 98
University of Delaware:
- Assistant Professor to Professor of Chemical Engineering, 1965-77
- Allan P. Colburn Professor, 1977-81
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Chem. Eng’g., Visiting Lecturer, 1978-85
- Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Harry Pierce Professor, Sept., 1979 – Jan., 1980
- California Institute of Technology, Chevron Energy Professor, February-July, 1980
- University of Melbourne, Australia, Visiting Professor, January-June, 1985
- Hebrew University, Israel, Forchheimer Visiting Professor, Sept., 1998 – Jan., 1999
- Hebrew University, Israel, Lady Davis Visiting Professor, October, 2009-May, 2010
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Erasmus Mundus Scholar, Eurheo Program, May-June, 2011, 2014
- University of Amsterdam, Institute of Physics, Visiting Scholar, annually, June, 2012-2019
- Editor, Journal of Rheology, 1995-2005
- Editor, AIChE Journal, 1985-91; Consulting Editor, AIChE Journal, 1991- 95
- Editorial Board, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 1976-
- Editorial Board, Advances in Chemical Engineering, 1984-85, 1992-2003
- Editorial Board, Rheologica Acta, 1995-2005
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Guggenheim Fellow, 1971-72
- Professional Progress Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 1977
- Fulbright Lecturer, 1979-80
- William H. Walker Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 1984
- Bingham Medal, Society of Rheology, 1986
- National Academy of Engineering, elected 1986
- Chemical Engineering Lectureship Award, American Soc. for Engineering Education, 1993
- Warren K. Lewis Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 1998
- Institute Lecturer, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 1999
- D. Sc. (honorary), University of Minnesota, 2001
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, elected 2001
- Distinguished Service Award, Society of Rheology, 2005
- Founders Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2008
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Chemical Engineering Pedagogy, American Society for Engineering Education, 2014
- Publication Award (with R. Mari, R. Seto, and J. F. Morris), Society of Rheology, 2015
- Optimization by Variational Methods, McGraw-Hill, 1969; reprint edition, Robert Krieger, 1978.
- Introduction to Chemical Engineering Analysis (with T. W. F. Russell), Wiley, 1972; Spanish language edition, eds. Limusa, 1976.
- Stability of Reaction and Transport Processes, Prentice-Hall, 1975.
- Process Fluid Mechanics, Prentice-Hall, 1980.
- Process Modeling, Longman/Wiley, 1986.
- Polymer Melt Processing: Foundations in Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2008.
- Chemical Engineering: An Introduction, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2012
- Chemical Process Control (edited with A. S. Foss), AIChE Symposium Series, No. 159, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, New York, 1976.
- Modeling for Process Control, in Advances in Control and Dynamic Systems, Vol. XV, C. T. Leondes, ed., Academic Press, 1979, p. 147
- Fibre Spinning, in Computational Analysis of Polymer Processing, J. R. A. Pearson and S. Richardson, eds., Elsevier Applied Science Publ., 1983, p. 179
- Coal Gasification Reactors (with R. Shinnar), in Chemical Reaction and Reactor Engineering, J. J. Carberry and A. Varma, eds., Marcel Dekker, 1986, p. 499
- Processing, Modeling, in Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, vol. 13, J. I. Kroschwitz, ed., Wiley, 1988, p. 425; abridged version printed in Concise Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, J. I. Kroschwitz, ed., Wiley, 1990, p. 909
- The Identity of our Profession, in C. W. Colton, ed., Perspectives in Chemical Engineering (Advances in Chemical Engineering, 16), Academic Press, NY, 1991, p. 565
- Processing, Modeling, in Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, 3rd Ed., vol. 11, J. I. Kroschwitz, ed., Wiley, 2004, pp. 263-287.
Recent Policy Committee Reports:
- Testing of Body Armor Materials: Phase III (with the Board on Army Science and Technology Committee on Testing of Body Armor Materials for the U. S. Army – Phase III, L. G. Lehowicz, Chair), National Academy Press, 2012. ISBN-13: 978-309-25599-8
- LAOS: The strain softening/strain hardening paradox (with M. R. B. Mermet-Guyennet, J. Gianfelice de Castro, M. Habibi, N. Martzel, and D. Bonn), J. Rheology, 59, 21-32 (2015).
- Nonmonotonic flow curves of shear thickening suspensions (with R. Mari, R. Seto, and J. F. Morris), Phys. Rev. E, 91, 052302 (2015).
- Local rheology of suspensions and dry granular materials (with H. de Cagny, A. Fall, and D. Bonn), J. Rheology, 59, 957-969 (2015).
- Size-dependent reinforcement of composite rubbers (with M.R.B. Mermet-Guyennet, J. Gianfelice de Castro, H.S. Varol, M. Habibi, B. Hosseinkhani, N. Martzel, R. Sprik, A. Zaccone, S.H. Parekh, and D. Bonn), Polymer, 73, 170-173 (2015)
- Discontinuous shear thickening in Brownian suspensions by dynamic simulation (with R. Mari, R. Seto, and J. F. Morris), Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 112, 15326-15330 (2015)
- Shear and normal stress measurements in non-Brownian monodisperse and bidisperse suspensions (with C. Gamonpilas and J. F. Morris), J. Rheology, 60, 289-296 (2016); Errata, 62, 665-667 (2018).
- Normal stress measurement in foams and emulsions in the presence of slip (with M. Habibi, M. Dinkgreve, J. Paredes, and D. Bonn), J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech, 238, 33-43 (2016).
- On different ways of measuring “the” yield stress (with M. Dinkgreve, J. Parades, and D. Bonn), J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech, 238, 233-241 (2016).
- Yield stress materials in soft condensed matter (with Daniel Bonn, Ludovic Berthier, Thibaut Divoux, and Sébastien Manneville), Reviews of Modern Physics, 89, 035005 (2017).
- “Everything flows?” Elastic effects on start-up flows of yield stress fluids (with M. Dinkgreve and D. Bonn), Rheologica Acta, 56, 189-194 (2017).
- Dependence of nonlinear elasticity on filler size in composite polymer systems (with M. R. B. Mermet-Guyennet, M..Dinkgreve, M. Habibi, N. Martzel, R. Sprik, and D.Bonn), Rheologica Acta, 56, 583-589 (2017)
- Shear thickening in concentrated suspensions of smooth spheres in Newtonian suspending fluids (with J. F. Morris and D. Bonn), Soft Matter, 14, 170 – 184 (2018).
- A constitutive model for simple shear of dense frictional suspensions (with A. Singh, R. Mari, and J. F. Morris), J. Rheology, 62, 457-468 (2018)
- Carbopol: From a simple to a thixotropic yield stress (with M. Dinkgreve, M. Fazilati, and D. Bonn) J. Rheology, 62, 773-780 (2018)
- hat Determines the Drop Size in Sprays? (with S. Kooij, R. Skis, E. Villermaux, and D. Bonn), Phys. Rev. X, 8, 031019 (2018)
- The yield normal stress (with Henri de Cagny, Mina Fazilati, Mehdi Habibi, and Daniel Bonn), J. Rheology, 63, 285-290 (2019)
- From Yielding to Shear Jamming in a Cohesive Frictional Suspension (with Abhihendra Singh, Sidhant Pednekar, Jaehun Chun, and Jeffrey F. Morris), Phys. Rev. Letters, 122, 098004 (2019)